What God Cannot Do
What God Cannot Do
It is true that "There is nothing too great for God's power"; and it is just as true that "There is nothing too small for His love!"
I love the statement quoted above - it is truly fitting in light of what I believe the Lord wants me to preach on this Friday:
What God Cannot Do
When I think of this theme I am reminded of a question posed to me as a young believer. Often when witnessing to unbelievers, the atheists and the scoffers will try to come up with questions to try to stump the Christian - thinking in some sense that if the young believer cannot answer the foolish question then they are somehow justified in their rebellious course.
I was asked if there was anything that God cannot do? Of course, I protested that there wasn't. Then the mocker asked me, "Can God create a rock so heavy that He cannot move it?" Not sure how to answer that - as it seemed a catch-22 question. Either way I answered seemed to prove God was limited.
I have since matured in my faith and now realize how foolish are these reasonings of the mockers and scoffers of God and His Word! God is a Spirit - as such He is not hindered by our physical limitations. When the Lord Jesus Christ, the second Person of the Godhead (Trinity), became a man to one day die for our sin, He took on our physical limitation: He became tired, hungry, thirsty, and was even overwhelmed emotionally at times (at Lazarus' tomb, in the Garden of Gethsemane). Once His plan of redemption was finished - He shed His blood and bore our sins upon the cross, was buried for three days and nights, then arose victoriously over the grave - He was glorified and ascended back to Heaven. As God He is not limited by our human limitations, but as Man He can sympathize with our weaknesses, our trials and temptations, and have compassion on us - therefore making Him the perfect Saviour!
There are 3 things that the New Testament teaches that God cannot do:
God cannot lie - Titus 1:2-3 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began; But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;
He cannot be tempted with evil - James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
He cannot deny Himself - 2 Timothy 2:11-13 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.
There are so many ways that I could take these passages (in the sense of a direction for my message - and I am praying for guidance as to to this), but one thing I can emphasize:
God's faithfulness in keeping His Word, and His wisdom and power at work in our lives (according to His perfect, righteous will). What He has spoken regarding salvation is true and trustworthy - He has the power to save us and has promised to do so if we turn to the Lord Jesus Christ in repentance and faith, and He is faithful to keep us saved to the uttermost! I know I can trust Him because He can never be tempted with evil, so He will never be sidetracked from His plans in my life and in my eternity!
Praise the Lord for His promises!
August 16th, 2005
Jerry Bouey
Comments
Post a Comment