Sunday, June 30, 2024

Not Ashamed

Not Ashamed

The Apostle Paul was not ashamed - despite all the trials and persecutions he faced for being a Christian. Though his message was rejected by many, he was not ashamed to keep preaching the truth - even if it meant imprisonment or martyrdom.

1) Not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ - he knew what he believed.

God used the Apostle Paul to write half the books of the New Testament. One of the earliest that he had written was the book of Romans, which was written during his missionary journeys. As an Apostle and missionary, he was not ashamed.

Romans 1:16-17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Many people claim to believe the Gospel. They acknowledge Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection, but they do not believe these facts according to the Scriptures

There are two main thoughts concerning this:

That Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies regarding His crucifixion, death, burial, and resurrection. He is the Messiah that the Old Testament foretold would come and die for the sins of the world.

Jesus also died for our sins according to the Scriptures - He was the atonement for sin; He was our substitute, dying in our place and taking the punishment we deserve; He completely paid the ransom due, sin's debt has been paid; Jesus Christ has done all that was needed to save our souls, have you turned to Him for forgiveness of sins and received His gift of eternal life?

Paul knew what the truth was that had saved him, and he was not ashamed to preach the Gospel of Christ to all that he met. Do you believe it?

2) Not ashamed of Jesus Christ - he knew whom he believed.

Near the very end of his life, while in a Roman prison awaiting execution, he penned his last book, the book of 2 Timothy. Though soon to be a martyr, he was still not ashamed.

2 Timothy 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.

Many claim to believe in Jesus, but they do not believe the truth regarding Him. But the Apostle Paul knew who Jesus Christ is: the Son of God, the Word made flesh, God manifest in the flesh, the Creator.

John 1:1-3, 14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Jesus is the First and the Last, the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, the Almighty, the LORD God of the Old Testament, the great I Am.

Isaiah 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and His redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Revelation 1:8, 17-18 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Exodus 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and He said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I Am.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which He hath purchased with His own blood.

1 John 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

Paul was not ashamed because he knew whom he had believed. He knew who had saved him and who could keep him safe until he went home to his eternal home in Heaven. Do you know Jesus Christ, or just know about Him?

2 Timothy 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.

3) Not ashamed to believe in the Saviour - he knew why he believed.

The Apostle Paul was not ashamed because he knew there was only one true God, and therefore only one true Saviour.

Isaiah 45:21-22 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside Me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside Me. Look unto Me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

He was not ashamed because he knew this Saviour and had received Him personally. Have you received Jesus Christ as your Saviour?

4) Not ashamed at His coming.

One final point I will leave you with:

1 John 2:28 And now, little children, abide in Him; that, when He shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before Him at His coming.

The Apostle Paul was not ashamed because he knew this Saviour and he walked with Him. Will you be confident or ashamed when the Lord Jesus Christ comes back to receive His own - all those who placed their faith in Him?

My prayer is that you will not be ashamed!

February 5th, 2005
Jerry Bouey

No comments:

Post a Comment