Tuesday, November 01, 2022

The Lion Of God's Word

 The Lion Of God’s Word

I love how the Apostle Paul used many images and comparisons in his preaching and writing to get the truth across to his readers, like in the following verse:

2 Timothy 2:8-9 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.

Vine’s Expository Dictionary says this about the word “bound” as used in this passage:

“…its ministry, course and efficacy were not hindered by the bonds and imprisonment suffered by the apostle.”

Even though Paul was imprisoned and bound, the Word of God was not.

“The Word of God is like a lion. You don’t have to defend a lion. All you have to do is let the lion loose, and the lion will defend itself.” - Charles Spurgeon

“The Word of God can take care of itself, and will do so if we preach it, and cease defending it. See you that lion. They have caged him for his preservation; shut him up behind iron bars to secure him from his foes! See how a band of armed men have gathered together to protect the lion. What a clatter they make with their swords and spears! These mighty men are intent upon defending a lion. O fools, and slow of heart! Open that door! Let the lord of the forest come forth free. Who will dare to encounter him? What does he want with your guardian care? Let the pure gospel go forth in all its lion-like majesty, and it will soon clear its own way and ease itself of its adversaries.” – Charles Spurgeon - (“The Lover of God’s Law Filled with Peace”, sermon #2004, January 1888)

Don’t hold back the lion - just let it out!

2 Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you.

The phrase “free course” means “to run or walk hastily (literally or figuratively).” Paul’s desire was that the Word of God was running freely, achieving its intended affect in the lives of those who heard it, with nothing hindering it from doing so.

Psalms 147:15 He sendeth forth his commandment upon earth: his word runneth very swiftly.

Keep studying, keep applying what you have learned, and keep sowing the seed of the Word in the hearts of the lost around you. Let the lion of God’s Word out to roam.

Isaiah 55:8-11 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

I love how we can run in the path of God’s will when we understand His Word:

Habakkuk 2:2 And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.

Psalms 119:32 I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart.

There’s A Lion In My Heart

There’s a lion in my heart,
Running freely through my veins;
I can’t hold back this power -
I give the Lord free reign.

This old world hates the Bible,
There’s no place left for God’s Word;
But still it cuts so deeply,
Through soul and spirit, like a sword.

Reading and studying daily,
Like Mary, at Jesus’ feet;
Searching for hidden treasures,
Gleaning wisdom and digging deep.

Mind filled and overflowing,
Mouth filled and opened wide;
I am weary with forbearing -
I cannot hold God’s Word inside.

Though at times I cannot speak,
And feel I am but a child,
There’s a lion in my soul,
Breaking free and running wild.

November 1st, 2022
Jerry Bouey

No comments:

Post a Comment