Sunday, October 05, 2008

Our Hope In Christ

This study builds on The Hope Of Your Calling.

Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

1 Corinthians 13:7 Charity... (love for both God and man) Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

The Biblical definition of the word hope is a "confident expectation." If you have trusted in the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, there are many things that the Lord has promised to do in your life.

What are some of the things we are to have hope for, that we are to be confidently expecting in Christ?

Hope in the resurrection:

Psalms 16:8-11 I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

This passage is speaking about the Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ. Because He is risen, we know that those who trust in Him for salvation have that same hope that they will also one day rise from the grave. This has been the hope of believers throughout history, in both the Old and New Testaments. Even Job, probably the oldest book in the Bible, refers in various places to this glorious truth. As God's plan for His people unfolded, more was revealed about what the saints had to look forward to at their resurrection, especially in the light of Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection; however the saints always had some degree of confident expectation that they would rise again and see their Lord face to face in the flesh.

2 Timothy 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

Acts 23:6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.

Acts 24:14-15 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets: And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

Acts 26:6-8 And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers: Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews. Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead?

Hope in His mercy and deliverance:

Psalms 33:18-22 Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy; To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine. Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help and our shield. For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name. Let thy mercy, O LORD, be upon us, according as we hope in thee.

Keeping believers alive in famine implies His daily provision for their needs, even in times of scarcity.

Psalms 147:11 The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.

Lamentations 3:21-26 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.

We don't need to dread our trials - the Lord will deliver those that fear Him in His time. We may confidently expect that He will have mercy upon us as we walk with Him and do His will. As Lamentations states, we can have the hope of a new beginning every morning because of the Lord's mercies and compassions upon us. That is reason for hope even when we have failed the Lord.

Psalms 119:166 LORD, I have hoped for thy salvation, and done thy commandments.

Hope in the Lord:

This statement is all-encompassing. Whatever we are facing in life, if we keep our eyes on the Lord, confidently expecting Him to work out whatever is needed, to work all things in our lives according to His will, then we will be filled with joy and peace as we trust in Him.

Psalms 38:15-16, 21-22 For in thee, O LORD, do I hope: thou wilt hear, O Lord my God. For I said, Hear me, lest otherwise they should rejoice over me: when my foot slippeth, they magnify themselves against me... Forsake me not, O LORD: O my God, be not far from me. Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation.

Psalms 39:7 And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee.

Psalms 42:11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. (See also Psalm 42:5 and 43:5)

Psalms 71:5-8, 14-16 For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth. By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee. I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge. Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour all the day... But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more. My mouth shall shew forth thy righteousness and thy salvation all the day; for I know not the numbers thereof. I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD: I will make mention of thy righteousness, even of thine only.

Psalms 78:5-7 For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children: That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children: That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments:

Psalms 146:5-9 Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God: Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever: Which executeth judgment for the oppressed: which giveth food to the hungry. The LORD looseth the prisoners: The LORD openeth the eyes of the blind: the LORD raiseth them that are bowed down: the LORD loveth the righteous: The LORD preserveth the strangers; he relieveth the fatherless and widow: but the way of the wicked he turneth upside down.

Jeremiah 17:5-8 Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited. Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.

Jeremiah 17:12-18 A glorious high throne from the beginning is the place of our sanctuary. O LORD, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters. Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise. Behold, they say unto me, Where is the word of the LORD? let it come now. As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day; thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right before thee. Be not a terror unto me: thou art my hope in the day of evil. Let them be confounded that persecute me, but let not me be confounded: let them be dismayed, but let not me be dismayed: bring upon them the day of evil, and destroy them with double destruction.

Twice in the book of Jeremiah, the Lord is called the hope of Israel (see also Jeremiah 14:8). He is the one that will deliver them and bring healing; He is their (and our) only hope and sanctuary in this world.

Joel 3:16 The LORD also shall roar out of Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake: but the LORD will be the hope of his people, and the strength of the children of Israel.

1 Timothy 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;

1 Peter 1:18-21 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Hope in His Word:

Psalms 119:43 And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in thy judgments.

Psalms 119:49 Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.

Psalms 119:74 They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word.

Psalms 119:81 My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I hope in thy word.

Psalms 119:114 Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.

Psalms 119:116 Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.

Psalms 119:147 I prevented the dawning of the morning, and cried: I hoped in thy word.

Psalms 130:5-7 I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope. My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning. Let Israel hope in the LORD: for with the LORD there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.

Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Hope within the trials and troubles we experience:

Hosea 2:14-15 Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her. And I will give her her vineyards from thence, and the valley of Achor for a door of hope: and she shall sing there, as in the days of her youth, and as in the day when she came up out of the land of Egypt.

Achor means "trouble." When we go astray from the Lord and He has to bring us through the valley of trouble, we can confidently expect that the chastising we experience will accomplish its goal of restoring us to the Lord, if we heed that chastisement (see Hebrews 12:5-11).

Romans 5:1-5 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

This passage in Romans shows that we can confidently expect the Lord to reveal Himself in our trials, that we would learn to persevere in them as we experience more of the Lord's provision and goodness in our lives. If He has ALWAYS been faithful to us in the past whenever we went through troubles (He is a very present help in trouble! - Psalm 46:1), we can confidently expect that He will continue to be faithful in the future - in fact, we can look forward to what He will work out during the trials we face.

Hope in the salvation of Israel:

Acts 28:20 For this cause therefore have I called for you, to see you, and to speak with you: because that for the hope of Israel I am bound with this chain.

One day, at the return of the Lord, all those that remain in Israel will be saved:

Romans 11:26-27 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Hope that God would provide for those who serve Him in fulltime ministry:

1 Corinthians 9:7-14 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

Hope in Jesus' return, and our reward for faithful service:

1 Thessalonians 1:2-4 We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers; Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father; Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.

The word for patience in the Bible means "cheerful (or hopeful) endurance, constancy." We are to persevere in our walks with the Lord, confidently, joyfully, expecting His return.

Romans 12:12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

Hebrews 6:9-12 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak. For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end: That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Titus 2:11-14 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Jesus' return is called our blessed hope - the thought of seeing our Saviour face to face one day is something that should bless our souls, that should bring us joy.

Hope in being with our saved loved ones for eternity:

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming? For ye are our glory and joy.

Hope in being gathered together with our loved ones when Jesus returns:

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Our Saviour's return and the resurrection of our saved loved ones is a tremendous source of comfort for God's people.

1 Thessalonians 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

Salvation means "deliverance." The context will show what type of deliverance is in view, whether of deliverance from sins, from enemies, from sickness or something else. In this context, we see that we are to be confidently expecting our deliverance from this world at the return of Jesus Christ for His own, for true believers.

Hope in being forever with our Saviour, even after we die:

Titus 1:1-2 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

Proverbs 10:28 The hope of the righteous shall be gladness: but the expectation of the wicked shall perish.

Proverbs 14:32 The wicked is driven away in his wickedness: but the righteous hath hope in his death.

The word for hope in this verse is interesting, and means "to flee for protection; figuratively, to confide in." Webster's defines confide as "To trust; to rely on, with a persuasion of faithfulness or veracity in the person trusted or of the reality of a fact; to give credit to; to believe in, with assurance." Death is not something the righteous has to fear. It is something he can look forward to with gladness and confident expectation - because it will usher him into the presence of His Saviour! That is a fact he can be assured and persuaded of - God is faithful and will keep ALL His promises!

Titus 3:4-7 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Eternal life is knowing the Father and the Son:

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

1 John 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Hope in being made more and more like Christ in this present world, and then one day being made completely like Him when He returns:

Colossians 1:27-28 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

1 John 3:1-3 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Hope and rejoicing until the return of Christ:

Hebrews 3:6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

Hope as the anchor of our souls:

Hebrews 6:18-20 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Notice that this hope - this anchor - is secured in Heaven, where Jesus is. It is eternal and will last forever - because our Saviour is eternal and the life He gives is everlasting!

Give a defense of the hope that we have:

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

The Greek word for give an answer is "apologia." This is where we get our word apologetics from, which is a defense of our faith. Hopefully (yes, I am confidently expecting you to do this), you can now give a defense of the reason you have hope in the Lord!

The substance of things hoped for:

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Faith is taking God at His Word - believing and clinging to something the Bible teaches because it is God that said it.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

This verse teaches that Bible-based faith has substance; there is a reality to it. Substance is defined by Strong's Concordance as "a setting under (support), i.e. (figuratively) concretely, essence, or abstractly, assurance (objectively or subjectively)." Webster's 1828 Dictionary defines it as "Something real, not imaginary; something solid, not empty." True faith has substance! It is something tangible that we can hold on to, and build our lives upon.

The word evidence means "proof, conviction." Webster's defines it as "That which elucidates [makes clear] and enables the mind to see truth." Bible-based faith is what convinces us of the reality of things that we cannot see (God, Heaven, Hell, angels, eternity, eternal life, etc.) - and gives us the substance (the support or foundation) we need to have hope in God's promises, and live a life that is pleasing to the Lord.

1 Corinthians 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Right now, hope is one of the three things that remain - but one day, hope will be sight. All those things we looked forward to and confidently expected our Saviour to fulfill will have been completely accomplished.

October 5th/08
Jerry Bouey

Four part series: Our Calling In Christ
Part One - The Hope Of Your Calling
Our Hope In Christ (Follow up study)
Part Two - The High Calling
Part Three - The Holy Calling
Part Four - The Heavenly Calling

No comments:

Post a Comment