Tuesday, May 16, 2006

So Amazed (Testimony and Poem)

I have to say, I really love the Word of God and how the Lord speaks to His children through it. It is a refreshing river always available for cleansing therein, a diamond mine that keeps on revealing precious stones, a tree of life whose leaves (pages) contain medicine for the healing of my heart, a balm of Gilead to soothe my wearied soul.

I love it when some precious truth that has impacted you in the past is reinforced anew when you come to the passage a year (or two or three) later. The promise, principle, proclamation, precept, profound truth is there waiting to be seen again, and waiting to be applied afresh to your heart and mind by the Spirit of God. I love that.

What am I getting excited about? Just another of my favourite passages (actually two with the same idea in it), about God's grace in our lives. The first one comes right after king David expressed his desire to build the Lord a house (Temple) - though that was not God's will for king David but for his son, Solomon, who would reign after him; yet king David is promised by the Lord that his kingdom would be established forever, and that God would bless his house.

1 Chronicles 17:16 And David the king came and sat before the LORD, and said, Who am I, O LORD God, and what is mine house, that thou hast brought me hitherto?

God chose king David's house and blessed David because of who God was. He was merciful and gracious and had a plan for David - and that plan amazed him - just as God's wonderful, abundant plan for our lives should amaze us! "Who am I?" No one - but thank You, Heavenly Father, for saving me and using me for Your glory and to further Your kingdom, to reach lost souls for Your glory!

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

The second passage occurs a little later in king David's life, when he is gathering material for the Temple that his son would build. God not only provided all the materials needed for its service, but also the willing hearts to prepare the implements.

1 Chronicles 29:9-13 Then the people rejoiced, for that they offered willingly, because with perfect heart they offered willingly to the LORD: and David the king also rejoiced with great joy. Wherefore David blessed the LORD before all the congregation: and David said, Blessed be thou, LORD God of Israel our father, for ever and ever. Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all. Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name.

1 Chronicles 29:14 But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee.

1 Chronicles 29:15-17 For we are strangers before thee, and sojourners, as were all our fathers: our days on the earth are as a shadow, and there is none abiding. O LORD our God, all this store that we have prepared to build thee an house for thine holy name cometh of thine hand, and is all thine own. I know also, my God, that thou triest the heart, and hast pleasure in uprightness. As for me, in the uprightness of mine heart I have willingly offered all these things: and now have I seen with joy thy people, which are present here, to offer willingly unto thee.

I didn't want you to miss that verse above, so I separated it from the rest. Go back and read it again. Here we see king David amazed at the Lord's grace towards him. God was willing to use him to gather materials for the Temple - and in another passage we see that the Lord even gave him the building plans for the layout of the Temple - and his soul was amazed. He was so overwhelmed that praise flooded his soul and flowed forth. "Who am I?" No one - but I am so thankful that you saved me! So amazed!

Amazed... Amazing... That God would save a wretch like me, that He would have a plan for my life that is more fulfilling and blessed than I could ever imagine, and that there is still the glory of Heaven to look forward to. That's amazing!

So Amazed

Basking in Your presence at the start of the day,
I meditate in wonder and begin to pray.
“So amazed,” is all my raptured soul can say.
Who am I, Lord, that You would love me this way?

Once burdened by sins that my mind couldn’t erase,
Now, forgiven – in Your sight there’s not even a trace.
So amazed and awed by Your amazing grace.
Who am I, Lord, that You would die in my place?

At the mountaintop, at last, I rest from my climb,
Rejoicing in the soothing peace that I find.
So amazed, in Christ I have victory this time.
By staying focused on Him, steadfast in mind.

So amazed, Lord, by Your amazing grace,
So amazed, Jesus, that You died in my place,
So amazed by all the wondrous things that You do,
So amazed, my God, I’m so amazed in You!

Poem April 5th/02
Devotion May 16th/06
Jerry Bouey

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So amazed, Lord, by Your amazing grace,
So amazed, Jesus, that You died in my place,
So amazed by all the wondrous things that You do,
So amazed, my God, I’m so amazed in You!


Amen and amen!!! There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of the blessings He bestows upon me ... and I don't deserve even one!

Thank you Bro. Jerry! This really blessed my heart this morning!

Anonymous said...

Jerry,
What a blessing "So Amazed"was to me today.God has so amazed me as He has truly spoken to my heart lately.Even through the trials of life,He is there.
Our pastor read your Mothers' poem for us on Mothers Day and told the story behind it.Such a blessing!A lady in our church had just lost her mom and it was a comfort.
God bless you.My prayers are with you always.
Just Because of Jesus,
Theresa Wood

Jerry Bouey said...

I am glad these devotionals and poems are a blessing to you. I like being able to get some feedback like this as it lets me know which articles are an encouragement or blessing to others.

Good to know you are doing well, Theresa, and thanks for visiting my blog. For those who are interested, both Kate and Theresa have also written some great poems, that I have up on Earnestly Contending:

Kate:
http://www.earnestlycontending.com/KT/Poems/AC/ABCs.html
She also has posted others online - be sure to visit her own site:
http://www.earnestlycontending.com/maranatha/index.html

Theresa:
http://www.earnestlycontending.com/KT/Poems/AC/christmaswojesus.html
She also wrote me a poem that brought me a lot of comfort just before my Mom passed away:
http://www.earnestlycontending.com/ewministries/jerry/godsgrace.html

(Hopefully these links will work.)

Post a Comment