Some Sevens In Scripture
Some Sevens In Scripture:
One theme that has always interested me in Bible study is the number seven. To me it is God's stamp of approval, His personal sign of handiwork on His Word. The number seven or a multiple thereof signifies perfection, fulness, completion. (This can be seen in Daniel's 70 weeks of years, Jesus' command to forgive a brother seventy times seven times, and Jesus' genealogy in Matthew 1, where each section lists fourteen names.) This idea is also carried across when something happens seven times, a phrase or idea is repeated seven times, or a description of something has seven aspects to it - like Hebrews 1:1-3 mentions seven things about our risen and ascended Lord that assert His divinity, Matthew 15:19 describes how completely evil man's heart is, and Ruth's seven-fold declaration to Naomi in Ruth 1:16-17. Revelation 5:6 refers to Jesus Christ and states symbolically that He has perfect (complete) strength (7 horns - omnipotent), perfect (complete) wisdom (7 eyes - omniscient), perfect (complete) presence (7 Spirits sent forth into all the earth - omnipresent).
As a cautionary note: Do not force a meaning into a passage that is not there because a certain number is used that symbolically carries a specific meaning - just notice what is there, and compare the numerical usage with what is clearly stated in the passage already. While many prophetic passages have symbolical meaning (for example: the books of Daniel and Revelation, the temple and sacrificial system, the types of Christ and the Holy Spirit in the OT, etc.), we want to be careful we do not ever twist the text of the Bible to bring some "spiritual meaning" out that is not justified by the text.
1) Seven Blesseds in the book of Revelation:
A. Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
B. Revelation 14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.
C. Revelation 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
D. Revelation 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
E. Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
F. Revelation 22:7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.
G. Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
2) Jesus' Seven I Am statements in the book of John:
A. John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to Me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on Me shall never thirst. (See also verses 48 and 51)
B. John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
C. John 10:7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. (Also verse 9)
D. John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth His life for the sheep. (Also verse 14)
E. John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
F. John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.
G. John 15:1 I am the true vine, and My Father is the husbandman. (Also verse 5)
3) Seven times Jesus is declared as the Word of God:
John 1:1 (3x), 14; 1 John 1:1; 5:7; Revelation 19:13;
From Genesis:
4) Seven times God declared His creation was good:
Genesis 1:4, 10, 12, 17, 21, 25, 31. Notice this last time, He emphasizes His declaration by stating, "It was very good."
5) Seven times God is said to have spoken to Noah:
Genesis 6:13; 7:1; 8:15; 9:1, 8, 12, 17.
6) Seven dimensions (ie. specifics given) to the ark described in Genesis 6:14-16:
Make thee an ark
1) of gopher wood;
2) rooms shalt thou make in the ark,
3) and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch. And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of:
4) The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits.
5) A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above;
6) and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof;
7) with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it.
7) Sevenfold covenant/promise to Abraham in Genesis 12:2-3:
1) And I will make of thee a great nation,
2) and I will bless thee,
3) and make thy name great;
4) and thou shalt be a blessing:
5) And I will bless them that bless thee,
6) and curse him that curseth thee:
7) and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
Written September 18, 2004 (Edited September 2026)
Jerry Bouey
Comments
Post a Comment