Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Winning The Battle Over Depression

Winning The Battle Over Depression

This testimony is a follow up to My Victory Over Depression

Update on My Victory:

Many times during this season - especially around Christmas - I find myself depressed or discouraged. Sometimes it is due to the weather or sickness, and other times it is mostly due to being by myself the closer I get to the holidays. Four years ago was the last time I dealt with severe depression. I realized it was a choice to either focus on myself and my own problems (whether big or small, real or imagined), or put my focus solidly back on the Lord and give the struggle to Him in prayer.

Each year, the battle gets easier and the victory is easier to maintain. Though there is still the temptation to be discouraged, I am no longer tempted to be depressed, and I praise the Lord for that! In each of these times of struggles, the Holy Spirit brings Bible promises and passages to my mind or else shows me new ones in His Word that I can claim by faith.

I wanted to share the following promises that the Lord has given me this year, or brought back to my mind. (If Jesus can give me the victory through faith, He can give you victory in Him as well!)

On the theme of I Am With Thee:

Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of My righteousness.

The context of the following passage is referring specifically to Israel, but God's presence and promises are for all His children.

Isaiah 43:1-5 But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and He that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee. Since thou wast precious in My sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life. Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west;

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Hebrews 13:5-6 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, He it is that doth go with thee; He will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. (This was the favourite verse of a friend of mine - so I memorized it by making a melody for it.)

The context of the following promise is dealing with those who are seeking to please the Lord and do His will.

Isaiah 58:9a Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and He shall say, Here I am.

On the theme of The Tender Love Of God:

Jeremiah 31:3 The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

Isaiah 49:13-16 Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted His people, and will have mercy upon His afflicted. But Zion said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of My hands; thy walls are continually before Me.

Isaiah 40:1, 11 Comfort ye, comfort ye My people, saith your God. He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: He shall gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.

Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; He will save, He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing.

Paul's example to the Thessalonians is an example of Christ's love to the church.

1 Thessalonians 2:7 But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:

Though here we see Christ's love refused by most of the nation of Israel, I believe His love for all true believers remains the same.

Matthew 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Hosea 11:4a I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love.

December 28th, 2004
Jerry Bouey

This study by Dennis Costella on Psalm 77 may also be of benefit to you:

Are You At Your Wits End?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise His holy name for how He has helped you Bro. Jerry!!! I know how the holidays can be hard. Not to the extent or in the same way as you I'm sure...but with us always getting the holidays with my husband's family and never getting any with my family it is always hard. It used to be alot harder however. I used to have to get away and alone and just cry and talk to my Father!! But now it still saddens my heart a little but its not as bad as it once was. My parents are not dead physically but are dead spiritually. We don't share the same interests in that respect and it makes it hard when I call them to talk with them because I simply don't have much to talk about with them since my life revolves around the Lord. For 9 years I had no contact with my parents as a result of my witnessing to them after I got saved. They shut me out of their lives (all of them!!..including my parents, brother and sister). My sister has since gotten saved and she has asked me to forgive her for how she treated me. I now have communication with my mom and dad but not my brother. My mom and dad won't let me talk about church or the Lord at all or else they said they will shut me out for good!! So I honor their wishes only so I can be able to communicate with them. We went to visit them last year and they saw a difference in my life and the life of my husband and children. I pray every day that God will use that testimony to water the seed that was planted years ago.

For those 9 years it was like my family was dead. There was no communication at all...no cards or letters or phone calls at all. So those years were very difficult. Yes I had my husband and children but it was still hard. I don't know if you have ever been married or anything. I don't know your story and I don't need to know if you don't want to tell me. But I'm so very thankful that God has helped you in this area of your life. And I know He will continue to do so!!

Post a Comment