Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Day 44 - The Perfect Water of Life

Numbers In The Bible Series:
Day 44 - The Perfect Water of Life

It almost seems as though the water is just flowing out of the rocks themselves, doesn't it? [This picture was taken by Carol Meyers at MIT and is used with her permission.] Three times the phrase "water of life" is found in the Word! We were having a discussion about this very topic yesterday at Fundamental Baptist Forum.

And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. (Rev 21:6) I noticed that Jesus says "It is done" here. It reminded me of when He was given vinegar on the cross and then said "It is finished" and He gave up the ghost (John 19:30). Here He says "It is done" and He promises to give water of life! The beginning and the end - the Alpha and the Omega's work of the cross is finished and He freely gives water to those that thirst!

And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. (Rev 22:1) Again, the water of life flows from Christ - He is the Lamb!

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Rev 22:17) I love this verse - notice the bride is here? We have received freely from this water of life and are with the Lamb!!!

I also found that the phrase "fountain of life" appears three times in the Word and all three times in the Old Testament.

For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light. (Psa 36:9) Jesus is not only the fountain of life but He is the light. Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. (Joh 8:12)

The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death. (Pro 13:14)

The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death. (Pro 14:27)
Again, Jesus is not only the fountain of life, but Jesus has the keys to hell and death. I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. (Rev 1:18)

Three times the Word says in John that He is the living water:

Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. (Joh 4:10) Not only is Jesus the Living Water but He is the gift of God. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water? (Joh 4:11)

He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (Joh 7:38)

Jeremiah also referred to the Lord as: O LORD, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters. (Jer 17:13)

Jesus is know as the living water and is also known as the Rock. I love how God used both these examples and combined them into something impossible. How can water flow from a rock? God took both to reveal Himself to us. Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel. (Exo 17:6) On Christ the Solid Rock we stand and He provides us with Living Water! Praise the Lord!! And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. (1 Cor 10:4)

It amazes me how God shows Himself through objects - giving us object lessons. Our Rock, our foundation, is firm and steady and cannot crumble or be destroyed. In fact, out of our Rock comes living water - not polluted or unclean - but pure! And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. (Rev 22:1) The Perfect Lamb of God gives us living water which freely flows from His throne!

When I sit and meditate on how Christ reveals God's character and how He reveals Himself through the Word, I tear up! I stand amazed at how God feeds us over and over and it is fresh every day. Nothing gets stale, the Water never flows dirty! The Living Water of the Word continues to quench my spiritual thirst every single day. It is not old - it is new every morning! Thanks be to God!

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!


Devotional by Kate Plourde

60 Day Devotional Series: Numbers In The Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment