Sunday, April 22, 2007

All Our Tomorrows (Psalm 139:1-12)

All Our Tomorrows
(Psalm 139:1-12)

Some of the most interesting things to learn from the Bible are the attributes of God. The more we realize who He is, what He is like, what He can do in the lives of His children, the more we can learn to trust Him in our day to day lives.

God's Word teaches that God is a Trinity, one God made up of three Persons. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit - all are equal and have the same attributes. Some of them are: God is eternal - He has no beginning nor end. He is Omnipotent (all-powerful). God has the power to calm the storms and raise the dead; create the world or save a soul. Just as all three members of the Trinity were involved in the creation of the Heaven and the earth, so too all three are involved in the new creation (the salvation of sinners). God is omnipresent (present everywhere at the same time). And God is also omniscient (all-knowing). He knows everything there is to know about His creation - past, present, and future - all our inward thoughts, all our actions, all our needs and desires. He also knows those who trust Him for salvation.

Psalms 139:1-6 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

We need never fear that He cannot understand us - He knows all that goes on in our minds and in our hearts. He can sympathize with us.

Psalms 139:7-8 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

There is nowhere we can go to that God is not there.

Psalms 139:9-10 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

The wings of the morning - all is dark until the sun's rays come over the horizon, at the speed of light the horizon brightens. If we could move to the farthest shore of the farthest sea in that same instant of time, even still God is already there!

God is already in all our tomorrows, and He is working out His perfect plan in His children's lives. An example in my sister's life illustrates this in a very real way.

Several weeks ago, my sister came up to Kelowna where I live. She was here for about two days, and then left to go back to my Mom's house (where she was staying). Just before she left, I felt led of the Lord to give her $60, which I did. She had $100 of her own. On the way back, she needed to get some gas for her van. She went in to pre-pay $50 (which means it would shut off before or at that amount). After starting pumping, she went in to buy some subs for her family. For some reason, the clerk did not program the gas pump for the $50. While my sister was in the store, her oldest son decided he would be helpful and switch the gas to another tank - unfortunately he was gripping the nozzle the whole time, with gas spewing everywhere. In his panic, he did not let go of the pump handle. When my sister came out and realized what had happened, there was $100 worth of gas pumped with probably half of it on the ground. My sister was now down to $40 and some spare change (after purchasing the subs).

She gets to our Mom's place and realizes that one of her tires is leaking. She goes to a gas station to fill it up and just hears the air hissing out. She pays the station $25 to fix her tire, and the tire blows up while they are repairing it!

They tell her she needs a new tire and roll one out that they were selling for $75. She stated that she cannot afford to pay that amount. They said they would subtract the $25 already paid, and she would only need to pay $50 now. After talking with them for a few minutes, she made it clear that all she had left was $15 in bills. All this time she was praying and trusting the Lord - she believed that He knew this would happen before she left Kelowna, and was claiming His promises to meet this need.

Eventually the attendant finds a replacement tire that he could sell for $40 (the $25 already paid, plus $15). As she is getting out her money to pay this bill, the clerk suddenly lets her know that there will be $6 something in tax. Right about then, my sister remembers the change from the subs, and goes to count it: 2 Twonies ($2 coins) and 3 Loonies ($1 coins).

God knew what was in her tomorrows, He knew the test He planned for her faith, and He knew EXACTLY what she would need before she got there - and that is why He prompted me to give her $60 (which covered the subs and the tire replacement).

We can trust our Heavenly Father! He knows all about our tomorrows, and is there already to provide for us and take care of us! Therefore we need not fear our tomorrows, nor worry about them. We just need to seek Him today, and He will provide for today - and when tomorrow comes, He will be already there ahead of us!

Matthew 6:33-34 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Psalms 139:11-12 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

No matter if we are walking in the brightest day or the darkest night, it is all the same to the Lord, and He is not limited by what would normally hinder us.

If someone is an unbeliever, they certainly won't find the fact of God's omnipresence and omniscience pleasant. There is nowhere they can go to flee from God! God is the perfect Judge - knowing all about the rebellious sinner, knowing fully all their crimes and rebellion against Him, and able to pursue the sinner everywhere and bring them to justice.

But for the believer, these words are comforting. The Lord knows all about us and our trials; He knows all our struggles and our desire to walk with Him; He always knows what is happening in every aspect of our lives - and can work out all things for our good and for His glory!

God is always with the believer. Jesus has promised, "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." That means He will always be with us. It is a comfort to know that God's power and presence will be with us wherever we go in this world, and in whatever situation we face - His presence is with us, and His power is at work on our behalf!

His power:
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

The Trinity:
Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

His presence:
Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Nothing can ever separate us from Jesus or His love! (See Romans 8:38-39)

Are you running from God, or are you learning to trust Him more each day?

Remember, the Lord is in all your tomorrows!

Written and preached Friday June 24th/05
Jerry Bouey

For the study preached on the following day:
The Lord Thinketh Upon Me (Psalm 139:13-18)

For more studies that use passages in the Psalms as the springboard:

Psalms Series

1 comment:

Sis. Julie said...

I seek to try to trust Him more each day. Do I always do just that...no...I find myself giving in to the flesh and not trusting in the Lord at all times...shame on me!!!

Post a Comment