(1) He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he. (Deu 32:4) This Rock's work is perfect. But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; (Heb 9:11) All this Rock's ways are judgment. And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. (Rev 19:11) This Rock is truth and is without sin. Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (Joh 14:6) For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. (Heb 4:15) Just and right is this Rock. For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth. (Psa 33:4) In summary, this Rock is the Word of God - Jesus. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (Joh 1:1) But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. (1 Cor 13:10) This Rock is fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
(2) But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked: thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick, thou art covered with fatness; then he forsook God which made him, and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation. (Deu 32:15) This verse references the Rock of salvation. Acts 4:10-12, Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. (10) This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. (11) Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. (12) (Emphasis mine) In summary, this Rock represents salvation. This Rock is fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
(3) Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee. (Deu 32:18) This Rock is the one that formed us. For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: (Col 1:16) In summary, this Rock is the Creator. This Rock is fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
(4) How should one chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight, except their Rock had sold them, and the LORD had shut them up? (Deu 32:30) This Rock chastises those He loves. For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. (Heb 12:6) The born-again believer is now a son/daughter of God. This child now receives chastening so that we can be molded into the image of Christ. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: (Joh 1:12) In summary, this Rock chastens us. This Rock is fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
(5) For their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges. (Deu 32:31) There is none other that is like this Rock. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. (Act 4:12) Allah cannot qualify. Buddha cannot qualify. Joseph Smith cannot qualify. In summary, there is only one Rock. This Rock is fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
(6) The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God. (2 Sa 23:3) This Rock is God. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. (1 John 5:7) This Rock speaks to His people. John 10:14-16, I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. (14) As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. (15) And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. (16) In summary, this Rock is the God who speaks to His people, both the Jew and the Gentile. This Rock is fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
(7) And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. (1 Cor 10:4) The beautiful Jesus, the Perfect Sacrifice for all men (the number for man is six) is the Rock of all Rocks. The spiritual Rock referenced here, Jesus Christ, is the seventh time the word "Rock" (capitalized) is mentioned. The seventh (perfect) appearance of the word Rock refers to the perfection of Jesus Christ. There is no other Rock from which we can receive salvation - this is our perfect spiritual drink. Only Christ can give the living water which we need - eternal life. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (Joh 7:38) "That Rock was Christ" is the eighth appearance of the word Rock! Only the Rock of our salvation can give us a new beginning - only Jesus Christ can provide perfect and complete salvation for all mankind! None other!
The living waters flow from You
The Rock that is higher than I
You freely gave, my freedom paid
To the Perfect Rock I draw nigh.
Devotional by Kate Plourde
60 Day Devotional Series: Numbers In The Bible