Thursday, March 29, 2007

The God Of...

The God Of...

Many times in the Scriptures, we come across phrases like, "The God of heaven," (used 8 times in Ezra - a time of new beginning and rebuilding for the nation of Israel), "the God of [the] earth," "The God of [your or thy] fathers," "The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob," "The God of Israel" (used 7 times in Ezekiel), and "The God of hosts" (used 7 times in Amos).

Some phrases only used once or twice:

"The God of Bethel ('the house of God')" (Genesis 31:13).
"The God of the Hebrews" (Exodus 5:3).
"The God of the spirits of all flesh" (Numbers 16:22 and 27:16).
"The God of David thy father" (2 Kings 20:5 and 2 Chronicles 34:3).
"The God of Jerusalem" (2 Chronicles 32:19 and Ezra 7:19).
"The God of gods" (Psalm 136:2; Daniel 11:36).
"The God of all the families of Israel" (Jeremiah 31:1).
"The God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego" (Daniel 3:28-29).
"The God of Daniel" (Daniel 6:26).

Israel's enemies referred to God as "the God of the land" (2 Kings 17:26-27), and God's enemies referred to Him as "The God of judgment" (Malachi 2:17).

There are a few other choice titles that we find in the Old Testament:

Deuteronomy 33:26 There is none like unto the God of Jeshurun ('the righteous nation'), who rideth upon the heaven in thy help, and in his excellency on the sky.

1 Samuel 17:45 Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.

2 Samuel 22:3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence. - See also verse 47.

Psalms 18:46 The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted. - See also Psalms 24:5; 25:5; 68:19-20; Isaiah 17:10; Micah 7:7; and Habakkuk 3:18.

Psalms 29:3 The voice of the LORD is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the LORD is upon many waters. - See also Acts 7:2.

Psalms 42:8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.

Psalms 43:2 For thou art the God of my strength: why dost thou cast me off? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?

Psalms 59:10 The God of my mercy shall prevent me: God shall let me see my desire upon mine enemies. - See also verse 17.

Isaiah 54:5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

Isaiah 65:16 That he who blesseth himself in the earth shall bless himself in the God of truth; and he that sweareth in the earth shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from mine eyes.

Jeremiah 32:27 Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?

Romans 3:29 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:

I don't know about you - but reading some of these phrases makes me want to shout Hallelujah or sing praises: the God of my salvation; the God of my life; the God of my strength, the God of my mercy (I sure do need lots at times!), the God of truth.

Ephesians 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

In addition to the above quote, we find seven titles/names of God unique to the New Testament (the rest of the names in this study were just bonus blessings to my heart!):

1) The God of the Living:

Mark 12:27 He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err. - See also Matthew 22:32.

2) The God of Patience:

Romans 15:5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:

3) The God of Hope:

Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

4) The God of Peace:

Romans 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

Philippians 4:9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Hebrews 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

5) The God of All Comfort:

2 Corinthians 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;

6) The God of Love:

2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

7) The God of All Grace:

1 Peter 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

The Old Testament referred to God as "The God of mercy," but it is even better to know Him as "The God of all grace"! Mercy is God withholding what I deserve due to my sin - BUT GRACE IS GOD REACHING DOWN AND GIVING ME WHAT I DON'T DESERVE BECAUSE OF HIS LOVE FOR ME! Praise the Lord for both His mercy and grace!

Ah, life, patience, hope, peace, comfort, love and grace - all found in the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, and freely available to all who have trusted in Him alone for salvation.

Our God is the God of all we need.

He is the God of Jerry Bouey. Can you put your name there as well?

The God of _________.

God bless. ;)

March 29th/07
Jerry Bouey

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat study, Brother Jerry!!! That got me to shoutin' :-) Yes, I can surely say that He is the God of Kate Plourde :-)

Anonymous said...

Bro Jerry what a wonderful encouraging post and Yes I also can say he is the God of Timothy Ellison.

Sis. Julie said...

AMEN!!!! I'm so glad that He is the God of Julie Brown. He has been everything and all I could ever ask Him to be for me. The greatest miracle is when He saved me. And then on top of that He has never left me and He is all I need!!! Praise His Holy and Sweet Name!!!

Post a Comment